Monthly Archives: April 2007
Ok..again I am high…not that high but ok good enough to sit in front of my computer and write a blog which describes absolutely nothing in particular. So here goes another one.
Today is that someone‘s birthday. And i wished that someone. But i didnt tell who i was. Sent a message thats all. And end of story.
By the way, I still do not know why it feels so good to be high. I guess thats why it is called HIGH.
Having stayed at NITK hostel for about 3 years now, I have realized that one of the things that you are imbued with is a whole new set of vocabulary. No I don’t mean the one which actually improves your English and helps you get a 1500+ GRE score. I am talking about the vocabulary that is completely native to the hostel. The one you will be able to use only when you have your hostel mates around you. I am referring to the vocab that will become a part of your life style in the hostel. Now the following is a brief list of that same vocabulary. I have tried to include as much as I can recollect at this moment. I have also made an attempt to trace its origins and parallel meanings. Any suggestions for further improvements are welcome. Ok so here goes:
1. Wastage: Now this is a very widely used word. It can serve many purposes. For instance, it can act as a word to describe something or somebody which/who has screwed up. Else it can also be used to refer to certain situations which are of no worth whatsoever. In fact it’s widest use is as a form of addressal for anyone in the hostel. Like, “ Hey you wastage, come fast!” And the response goes something like, “ Ya coming, wait!” It can also refer to a collection of people who put together have some aspect inferior in them. An instance is the number of the lot that one got, to pick the room of their choice. All the people who ended up with bad lots (>300- also known as 300 whore club( see below)-) were collectively termed as Wastages.
2. Whore: Now this is a term used to refer exclusively to the junta around you. It is not necessarily used in the derogatory sense even though a very few actually use it only when they are frustrated by someone else. It is sometimes prefixed with the name of the individual who is being addressed. So it ends up like “Harin Whore!” (name changed to protect identity). It is probably the most widely used lingo in my wing. It can also refer to a certain section of the junta here who have something in common. Like there are “Mech whores”, or “Trical whores” or in general “ #Branch Whores”. One of the very prominent section who are addressed thus are the “NV Whores”. Here the NV stands for Non-Veg and the NV whores refer to the people who eat at the highly acclaimed Non-Veg mess in the hostel. These “whores” are known to go in batches to the mess. Now one of the interesting thing about the term “Whore” is that it has got an adjective form as well in “Whoreness”. So any situation that is not really appreciated well is described as above.
3. Take it!: Take it! ( or in the past tense Took it!) can refer to any situation when somebody happened to get things go against him/her due to various reasons. Usually the things that go wrong are due to someone who made things go wrong for someone else. Now the former is said to have “Given it!” and the latter is said to have “Took it!” It is usually followed with another widely used term that was described above. Thus it’s usual form ends up as “ Harin took it like a Whore!” (Again name changed to protect identity). It is considered to be a major embarrassment if one happens to “Take it!” often.
4. Suck Dingy: This is a lingo that is used by junta here who deliberately want to “Give it!” to someone else. It essentially is meant to cause considerable embarrassment to the person who “Takes it”. Here is how it is delivered. A group of people, any number greater than 1, draw the attention of the person to whom they want to “Give it!” and once they have that person’s attention, they perform an action that explicitly conveys the message that the other person has to suck their genitals. And simultaneously they shout “ Suck Dingy!” Now the judging criteria as to whether the other person “Took it” or not is based solely upon the fact as to whether or not he saw the people who “gave it” to him at the time of the “giving”. If he happens to have seen the people then he is supposed to have “Taken it like a Whore!”. Else he almost took it. But it is usual practice to consider that the person at the receiving end to have “taken it” without regard to him seeing something else at that time. Also a “Suck Dingy” is not constrained by time and place.
5. –Yard: The term ‘-yard’ is always used as suffix to any activity or phenomenon that takes place in our everyday life. It can be used both as a derogatory and otherwise. Some instances include Sleepyard, Slogyard, Bunkyard, Humpyard and so on.
Ok now I have spent quite a lot of time on this that I feel I should be studying now as I have my exams coming up in a few days. So I will complete the Lingo List next time when I have time. Till then – SLOGYARD!!!
I told you sometime back that i started to learn the guitar. Unlike most of my friends, I dont want to be a lead guitarist. Instead I want to specialize in bass guitar. Man I feel so damn desperate whenever i realize how much longer it will still take me to learn this acoustic guitar and then buy a bass guitar. And then play it to the tune of some special songs. How much longer??? I cant wait…
So far I have cribbed enough about the fact that I am alone and that I don’t have a sibling. It has been one of the two things that I hold against my parents. To know what the other one is, visit this. The closest I have got to siblings are my cousins on my mom’s side- 3 of them. One a 15 year old guy, N, who just finished his X boards and has been acknowledged to be very much following in my footsteps. Another, his sister, H, who is about 2 years younger to him. And the third, my another cousin sister, D, just about 5 years old. All in all, I am the don in my family. Everybody always listen to me whenever I speak. But that is hardly any substitute for the company that I wish I had.
But there have been a few vivid things that took place in the recent past that seemed to infuse some very unfamiliar emotions in me. I suddenly felt like I was needed on this planet other than for myself. And it felt good.
About a couple of months back I went home for a few days holidays. Since my grandparents and one of my mom’s sister stays very near to my home, my mom’s other sister also comes down very frequently. This essentially means just that all my cousins end up in one place whenever I go home. And I am always looking forward to meeting them.
On one such occasion when I went home, I found H struggling to get passing marks in her Maths exams. I was quite disappointed. All of us were worried about her and her maths. She explained saying that the teacher was not good and similar stuff. But still it didn’t change the fact that she was unable to pass in the exam. She had got about 11/50, which indeed left a lot to be desired. Some of us were just sportingly pulling her leg by predicting her a good husband so that she wont have to really worry about her marks and things like that. I don’t know how she received it. She is not that loquacious kind of girl. In fact she is more of the taciturn kind. At least that’s what she is with us. And so I do not definitely know how she received those comments. And then since I was staying there for a few more days, I said that I would help her in her studies.
And so the next day I went to her and she said she had problems with indices and logarithms as her teacher hadn’t dealt with it properly. So I sat with her for a few hours and explained to her the best I could about indices and logarithms. I made sure that she understood it and made her solve a lot of problems on that. I taught her all the problems which her teacher had given them for homework. And in the end she was confident that she knew indices and logarithms well.
One month later I go home again. And by that time, she has finished one more round of exams. Again all my family is there. And I ask her what happened to her math exam. Her mother told that she passed. Good. And when I ask how much she got, she says she got 30/50. And that was immediately followed by another bout of friendly laughter, basically implying that 30 on 50 was still low. But I was in my own world. What they didn’t understand or probably forgot to notice was that 30 is greater than 2 ½ times 11. And what they also forgot to notice was the faint tone of achievement in her voice when she said 30. Like I said, the taciturn that she is, I could never say what she felt when no one noticed the way she expressed her sense of achievement.
But I am happy to have noticed it and acknowledged it. I guess there was this tacit understanding between us that went largely unnoticed. I know I can get real possessive. I felt that she was mine to look after.Me, being the egoist that I am, was happy because I knew I was responsible for her improvement. And she was just happy that she had gotten better.
But somewhere deep inside I was feeling something unfamiliar. It was that feeling that you get when you realize that someone needs you for their happiness. And like I said, it felt good. Unfamiliar, but Good. I guess God has his own ways of making up. Maybe its all too little and too late. But as far as I see it, little is better than nothing at all.
Ok tomorrow night I think i am going to do something that i might regret for the rest of my life. But at the same time, it may not be that bad as well. Just that i am worried i might lose control though i am assured that nothing like that is likely to happen…No its not that i am going to start smoking or anything. Just that it is something I hadnt really thought I would be doing.. Lets Hope that things will go well and nothing untowards happens.