Category Archives: Arbits
Thanks to my good friend’s timely intervention, I had to remove the Civil Branch Diary post that I had put up a few weeks back. But now that the College Mag is out, I do not have any problems with putting up my Branch’s Diary for the 4 years that we have stayed here. This appeared in the college mag VITRUVIAN and was written largely by me with inputs from various sources. I thank all those people who came up with ideas for the Branch Diary.
One word of note: The Civil girls of my batch, like I had notified in my earlier post, really believed that they had the complete rights to write the Branch Diary. But of course, I was not giving anything to them! Not that I have anything against them..it is just that I dont like them. Period. So you will hardly find much stuff commending the girls’ achievements in here. Some of the girls actually went to the extent of making fun of it. But now that they have a copy, I have just one thing to say:
“LOOK WHO’S LAUGHING NOW!!!!”
Also of note is the fact that one of my earlier posts- Banality a.k.a Bollywood-also has found it’s way into VITRUVIAN with some minor editing, which I frankly found that it made the article better. So if you have a copy of the VITRU, then do read it or you can visit the link that I have given.
So anyway, here is a copy of the Civil Branch Diary that I wrote for VITRUVIAN.
Four years is not exactly a long time. Especially, if you happen to be studying in the Civil Dept. But it was definitely long enough for a bunch of complete strangers to bond like concrete and forge friendships of steel.
The first year took off with us Civil junta being clubbed together with the Mining junta for the duration of the first year. The first few days largely consisted of teachers regularly subjecting us to repetitive hypnotic sessions, thereby firmly drilling into our heads, the fact that “NITK is a great Institute” and that “We have made the ‘correct’ decision of joining Civil or Mining.” After the initial ice breaking was over, Yadav was ‘elected’ the CR by the handful of the class junta who actually made the effort to wake up early on a Saturday morning and go all the way to cast their precious vote. Very soon, the junta visiting the gym found it to be a totally unnecessary act, as the weekly Drawing and Workshop hours successfully catered to the need for physical exercise. C Programming theory, as per the ‘SENIOR’ Faculty (who made it a point to regularly emphasize the ‘Senior’ part), was officially over in the second week! (Thank God for Yashwanth Kanetkar!) The Trical classes were renowned for their insight into life and its many mysteries – courtesy Punekar. Of more significance, however, were the extra-small question papers in the exams, conveniently followed by the single digit marks, distributed generously for the majority! (All Hail the Relative Grading System!) Julie topped (an act that would be repeated many more times) both the semesters with his high 9 pointers-with Som and Eshita right behind him.
The third semester kicked off with Pandey and Manish heading off to Mech and Chem respectively to seek greener pastures. (So much for all those hypnotic sessions!)Enter The New Guy- Tidke with all his extra experience. 42 (Yes it is indeed the answer to life, universe and everything!) – was the final number of misguided souls from all over the country and abroad making up the class junta for the rest of the years! Battery, as the new CR, took the solemn oath to make sure that more classes were cancelled and assignments postponed. Crrescendo saw Julie, Shreyas, Loki, Unmukt, Waheez, Ronsi, Sandy, Meghali and VJ –all making up the 2nd year dance team. From then on, the official dance team always unofficially comprised of Civil guys and IT gals. Meanwhile, Sasikumar, with Mechanics of Materials, went one step ahead in terms of low marks which saw the whole class get more zeros during the course than in their entire life. But rest assured! The grading system once again came to our rescue with the ‘cut-off’ for FF very conveniently fixed at -9! The tradition of utilizing the Survey Practice as an excuse to get a sneak-peak into the neighbouring Maximum Security Prison (read GB) continued, with guys with dumpy levels and cross staffs getting up, close and personal views of the GB gate and the forbidden territories within! The ‘educational’ class trip-courtesy Hari and Loki-to St. Mary’s Island to witness the rare ‘hexagonal rock formations’ ended up being the most fun-filled event in the semester, with almost the entire class turning up for the day long trip! (Oh, we did see those rock formations you know..) DVR’s chillax Geology classes coupled with the Mid-Sem=End Sem Geology question papers made the third semester a breeze. The semester wound up with Julie topping yet again.
Enter fourth semester. The class junta suddenly found themselves choked in pending assignments and projects. Endangered species included the junta who did the assignments by themselves, as a result of which Som, Julie, Prass and others suddenly became, everyone’s ‘Chaddi Dost’! The combination of Fluid Mechanics and BMD (not to be confused with the sacred concept of the Bending Moment Diagram!) proved to be not so ‘friendly’ after all with the entire class junta ‘accidentally’ (yes we still maintain it as coincidental!) mass bunking for the one and only time in all the 4 years! With the progress of the semester, the expectancy level of English in BMD’s classes seemed to depreciate at such an alarming rate that by the end of the semester, the class junta began to doubt their own grammar! Meanwhile SN provided the spark in the class with his exuberant lectures on Soil Mechanics. VG’s never ending list of projects kept everyone on their toes, what with VG doling out free advice (read ‘mandatory rules’) on how to write the project like a PhD thesis! BRJ’s Structural Analysis lectures were reminiscent of the hypnotic sessions in the first year while KSBN made a guest appearance to teach us a small part of Design. Geology lab exam suddenly increased the traffic to A1 Printers with extra demand for µ-Xeroxes! The semester ended up with Julie topping the class again (This is getting very boring!) making it 4 consecutive semesters at the top for him!
Arbit Civilian: Sir, the mid-sem was very easy. Everybody scored well!
SN (smiling): Wait till you see the technical quiz…
(After technical quiz…)
Arbit Civilian: Show some mercy…Show some mercy!
The fifth semester perhaps saw the best teachers around handling the courses for us throughout the semester. LN with Water Conveyance Systems, Sasikumar with Optimization, MCN with Analysis-II, AUR with his extra cool Highway and Traffic Engineering classes and SN back with Applied Soil Mech made the experience of attending classes a truly memorable one! On the other hand, the Management Theory classes successfully reminded us of why not all courses in a semester can be interesting. Drawing came back to haunt us again in the form of Building Drawing – this time under the jurisdiction of VG! One very unfortunate batch of class junta were destined to attend one more semester of BMD’s classes –this time for FM Lab! Yadav’s second term as CR saw him set new benchmarks when it came to the CR bunking classes which in turn made the junta aptly name him ‘Bunkit’! Meanwhile, NR, RoyaanD, Som, Shreyas, Nagarjun and Pras made waves at the Civil Fest NIRMAAN at BMSCE by winning the rolling trophy, competing against colleges from all over the country! And in the class, RoyaanD, Ram, Anil, Ostrich, Pammar, Mukki, Tidke, Ganolia, Mallu, Pammar, PVD and others had firmly established their positions in the class as the Lords of the Last Bench with some of them even making it into the official late-comers list. Concrete Technology saw the junta who had taken the elective set new records in mugging and reproducing extra-arbit facts in the exams. Finally there was a switch in pole position with Eshita on top, taking over from Julie for the first time!
The sixth semester saw a blend of courses ranging from the monologue-driven Environmental Engg to the monotonous Steel Design to the no-attendance-taken Water Resources and many more. NR decided to build his ‘foundations’ in M.Tech by taking up two PG electives, thus setting the stage for others to do the same in future semesters. Yaragal’s Steel Design dictation classes saw new records being set for writing down dictated problems (and their solution!) throughout the semester. MKN’s Water Resources saw a horde of Final Year junta taking up the course- thanks largely due to MKN’s no-attendance-taken policy coupled with the extra lenient exam invigilation and generous grades. The official Last Benchers added one more dimension to their Association by judiciously utilizing the back-door of the Seminar Hall during Environmental classes (strictly for Emergency EXIT purposes only!). Meanwhile, Yadav worked extremely hard to come up with a pink gay-looking Branch T-Shirt which prompted the class junta to boycott wearing it under any circumstances. The low attendance in the classes was more than made up by the increased attendance of some of the class junta at the local bars with Ostrich, RoyaanD, Anil and other fellow Last Benchers leading the way. Nagarjun and Battery were elected PCs for a very hectic Placement Schedule that was due to come up soon. Chotu belted GATE with a cool double digit rank! Eshita continued her reign at the top by topping in the sixth semester as well.
The advent of Final Year suddenly saw a clear transition in terms of many things including number of class hours, attendance (both at bars and classes) along with the role of the CR! PvD was elected the CR amidst a heated race for the union elections and immediately raised the benchmark set by Yadav with regard to bunking classes! Swarna was subsequently elected the GB Mata by all the inmates of the neighbouring Maximum Security Prison. Julie, Ganolia, Tidke, Shreyas & Unmukt suddenly found themselves being addressed as Con or Joint Con of various clubs. Meanwhile the Placement scene was teeming with frenzy, with almost everyone getting placed in a myriad of companies. Soumya and Vineet headed the pay scale by getting into Exeter and Oracle respectively. For the first time, Core companies actually faced a problem of choice with a Civil company offering the highest package in the college this time. Placements also served as a very valid excuse to bunk more classes in an already class-starved timetable! NR and Jasim went on to win the Rolling Trophy at BMSCE for the second time in succession along with a group of juniors. Yaragal returned with one more semester of Dictation for Estimation and Costing. On the other hand, the highlight of the semester were the inspirational lectures on Structural Design and Drawing by KSBN & MCN followed by the torturous drawing sessions (in the rooms). The Drawing classes were truly engrossing with KSBN’s impeccable concepts and style of teaching, coupled with his frequent references to all the things that ‘Keshava’ CAN do! Come to think of it, is there anything that ‘Keshava’ CANNOT do??!!? The ‘light and glass’ tracing apparatus in 8th block became the most demanded thing on Thursday afternoons. The sight of all the junta walking to the drawing hall for the end sem, with their boards and drafters, reminded all of a herd of sheep heading to the slaughterhouse! The semester culminated with Som belting all the subjects and becoming the first 10-pointer in the class!
Boredom and inactivity reached new heights with most of the junta having a maximum of 3 hours of classes every week- thanks largely to AUR’s 4 hours-for-the-semester Transportation Studio! PG electives became the order of the day with most of the guys taking up M.Tech courses. Civil Engg became the only branch in the batch to hit 100% placement! Civil Events @ ENGINEER’08 saw widespread participation from various colleges- thanks largely to the untiring efforts of NR, Loki, Naga and Shreyas. Driven by boredom, jobless junta resorted to prank calls to kill the time. Major Projects remained very much in a latent state for most of the semester with almost everyone getting into action only after the deadlines were announced! Naga, having slogged for CAT, made all the Civil guys proud by receiving all 6 calls from the IIMs! Chotu improved upon his previous attempt and went on to bag the 22nd rank in GATE. Som , RoyaanD, Battery & Shreyas made it into big name universities like UMich, Virginia Tech, Maryland etc., with more admits well in sight! Civil farewell saw each member of the female population of the batch shed light on the on-campus mystery as to why all the Civil GB inmates were a cult-both in and out of GB!
All said and done, that was just the tip of the iceberg. It will take a lot more to write about all the fun and frolic that we have been through in these 4 years. 4 years, where we met some of the best people, the Masters in their field and drew inspirations from them. And wherever we may go, whatever we may do, we will always remain ‘The Civil Junta’ from NITK Suratkal!
So that was my branch diary. If you were in the Civil Batch of 04-08, then you will know who is who. And of course, I am NR in the diary.
Notwithstanding the steadily diminishing reader count for this exclusive blog coupled with the fact that I have my project submission tomorrow and that this might as well be the last post of my life as an Undergraduate student at NITK Suratkal, I have decided to take charge of the situation and rescue my faithful blog from the mediocrities of low blog view count and low posting frequency! Thanks largely to my college authorities’ sudden interest in the ‘upgrading’ of the Internet ‘facililties’ (Read IRONPORT Site Blocker), the closest I have got to the world of Internet in the past couple of weeks is GTalk Pinging and chatting- what with the ‘upgrading’ resulting in NITKian’s best friend:ULTRASURF, being rendered useless.
But FEAR NOT my friend for the NITKians toiled day and night, in search of that one route to freedom, that one route to open all gates to the world of Orkutting, Facebooking (or whatever you choose to call it), unlimited power for self expression and the likes. And what a reward indeed!
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I present to you:
FREEGATE Ver.6.6!!! The new age ULTRASURF; brand new on the NITKian Computer! Available for Free Download on DC++ and yet to be detected and blocked by the NITK CCC Server!
All hail the NITKian Spirit!
Ok now lets get down to the real reason why I am even writing this post. Fact is that I just have too much to say! So much I can’t even recollect them all now! So I will just start somewhere:
1. Firstly, I should be writing my Major Project Report now instead of this pointless blog. Hey but what the hell! Iam desperately in need of some self expression, what with the closest I have got to putting thoughts on paper was my marathon 48 hour report writing involving Soil Slope Stability using Finite Element Method of Analysis and PLAXIS software!
2. I have exactly 7 days to go before I am officially out of my college-what with Final Year actually being the FINAL YEAR! Though I am most likely going to stay for about 10-12 more days, it is very possible that this is my last post as an official NITKian. I had wanted to reach 100 posts before leaving this college and I guess I will do it after my exam gets over on 14th.
3. Due to the complete inconsequence of the following fact, I shall reveal the same. After it’s brief stint with a sudden burst of activity, my mobile phone is back to it’s old ways of inactivity and sluggishness.
4. During my marathon report writing, I just reinforced my long standing belief that MS WORD SUCKS!!!!! And that LaTeX ROCKS!!!!
5. Now here is something! A few weeks back, I finally got my lazy ass out of my room and went on a trek with 4 of my friends to the Kodachadari peak. I will shortly be writing a blog dedicated to all the adventures we had during that 2 day trek along with Logik’s regular crap-a-holic needs, Cramp-Man’s cramps, Akella’s stint as the Bad Bouncer, Sads’ musings with his inebriated self and lest I forget, “How Masai got high, got wild and got a thought of Humping the Whores next room!!” Keep watching this blog for full details in the near future.
6. The following incident involves very graphic description of what a human being is capable of when he/she is high. Reader Discretion is advised. One of my good friends, fellow drunkard, fellow Blogger and fellow wanna-be-high-in-general had this bizarre incident during HOLI that left everyone open-mouthed and one person’s bed wet! I present to you the story of “How ***** got high, got sleepy and got Adi’s bed wet!” Now, without wasting too much time on unnecessary details, it will be sufficient to say that the person in question grossly misjudged the amount of the traditional “24 Hour Full Power” B***G Balls that were needed to get one stoned! And now lets skip to the part when ***** got too stoned, went into Adi’s room and went to sleep on his bed. Now lets fast forward to the moment when ***** suddenly wakes up and finds all the people around him laughing for some reason hitherto unknown to him. Then it is only a matter of time before even the stoned ***** realizes that the bed is fully wet with his own liquid assets! And it is then that ***** requests someone to guide him to the right place to relieve himself and then guide him back to his own room. So there is your story of “How ***** got high, got sleepy………….” NOTE: The ‘human being’ in question, after reading this post, suddenly came up with threats that can’t be mentioned here for the fact that I had publicized his (mis)adventure with wrong details. So, with all due apologies to Mr. *****, I have made the changes that you have requested for!
7. And talking about Holi, I celebrated Holi after a gap of 2 years and I have to say I really enjoyed it. What with me almost witnessing the “Female Mud Wrestling” (the wrestling part being the one that was absent), “Throw the dude in the pit!” and “Get Dirty” competitions! Of special mention, however was the once-in-a-lifetime sight of Ms. Nachiketa doing a ‘Hulk-Hogan’ on some innocent looking dude by trying to rip off his shirt! Thank God I made a timely intervention and tried to reason with her in the following way: “Hey this is not fair! You can rip our shirts but we can’t rip yours!!” Obviously it didn’t work! In other events, there is always this added dimension to Holi celebrations and this time it was more so given the fact that that special someone (see Point 9) was there to play Holi with me.
8. With only a few days left in the college, the college junta suddenly seemed to be in a mood to write politically-too-correct testimonials for all the people in the batch. This includes the people whom they have spoken to, the people whom they know by name and those people whose faces they were seeing for the first time in the yearbook in all the 4 years! I spent considerable time trying to come up with the Top 10 Testimonials written by anyone to anyone. I am more or less done with my list and will be uploading it shortly.
9. At this point, I would like to point out that I recently experienced a long forgotten feeling which made me smile with genuine happiness. Though on a miniature scale and transient in nature, it was enough to remind me that all is not over still and that there is still a chance for me. After a gap of about a year and a half, there is finally one more message that is stored permanently in my mobile inbox. To whoever that person is: THANK YOU FOR THAT LITTLE THING!
10. Royan owes me 100 bucks. But he is broke. If anyone has any money to give away, either as charity or as a long term ( I mean really really long term) loan, please contact him. He needs money to recharge his mobile so that he can talk to that someone from 12 in the night to 4 in the morning.
11. My Dad suddenly dropped a bomb shell at home by saying that he is going to quit his job and that he is starting a Restaurant of his own! Given the fact that my dad is 53 years old, I have to say I really admire his enthusiasm at that age! Next thing I know: Opening date for Restaurant: 11th May 2008.
So there you have it! Some updates on whatever is happening in my life of late. And if you will excuse me for now, I need to get on with my report as I would still like to be eligible for my Bachelor’s Degree after 4 years.
This has by far been the most boring week of my entire life. I have never been bored so much that I even considered injuring myself in some way so that things get a little spiced up. Anyway I made a list of the ten most exciting things that happened to me this week. So here goes:
10) The realization that I have grown older by 1 more week.
9) Finding some moron’s calculator under my desk in the classroom.
8) That sweeper dude cleaning my room thoroughly. Now it looks habitable for humans. I gave him all my stack of newspapers as a token of gratitude.
7) The opening of another center of that coffee shop near my hostel, which was earlier exclusive only to the Girls’ block (which is incidentally close to 1 km away).
6) Hitting double digits on my blog stats for the day, after a long time.
5) Waking up and getting a message that the class has been cancelled so I can sleep more.
4) The realization that next week are my mid semester exams and that I dont have to study much this time as I am in the final year.
3) Getting drunk and chasing the hostel dogs out of the hostel and then listening to TOOL when I was high enough.
2) Wishin two of my very close friends on their birthdays in a span of 4 days. One is my friend since 16 years. The other is the closest friend I have got now. Damn! Between them, there is such a contrast in the way they talk to me today. More about that later.
Ah! Now comes the most exciting part of my past week:
1) Getting a dream wherein I was some CIA dude who got around kicking a lot of mafia ass!
Yeah seriously! I am not joking! That was all my past week was about! There is absolutely nothing that was worthwhile that happened to me in the past one week. And the way things are going, I dont see any signs of improvement at all.
Whatever! I am feeling real sleepy now. I see some opportunities in my dream wherein my life can get real exciting. So see ya all in my dreams!
Its as simple as that. Everybody do not get everything. I get something that you dont and you get something that I dont. Maybe I want what you are getting. And you want what I am getting. But thats the bottom line. Learn to live with it.
I guess first I have to learn to live with it.
This is just to officially declare that the Post Script that I had mentioned in this post became void last weekend during that megalo party that took place upstairs. But unfortunately,it didn’t serve the purpose. So maybe next time I will know its purpose.
And just one more thing…I have decided to start writing about what all happens on this planet that is of any concern to mankind. That includes why the dog in my hostel at NITK is so insistent on pooping in the corridor everytime it is cleaned and other relevant topics.
I mean seriously speaking, I do have some strong views with regard to certain issues of great importance-of so great importance, that I am completely helpless to do anything about it! Like that other dog in the hostel which keeps humping that poor bitch everytime it lays its eyes on it. Or for that matter, the musings and the tacit understandings of the 4-5 other dogs which are all patiently waiting for their turn, completely oblivious to the flagrant violation of the privacy of the dog and the bitch.
Yeah so you see I do have stuff to write about and comment on. Hey what do you know? It also increases Blog Traffic! More the merrier!
I am just coming back from a quiz at the Bar-apparently the last quiz of the semester- conducted by Subbu. Of course this was his last quiz and he wanted to keep this special. So he kept it at GB. Good one.Free booze. Feels even better when you are drunk.
Whatever… My 6th semester is over now. And i guess thats the only relavent thing right now. Will be leaving home tomo…
So this is officially my last bl0g post of third year. Hope you guys had a good time reading my blog…….
Warning: The Following is a very large blog. So if you dont have the patience to read the entire thing, please go to the next blog post.
So again, stating a fact, Michel Schumacher will not be driving his Ferrari in F1 anymore. One more fact is that I have been a Schumi fan ever since I first started to watch F1. I really cannot point out what exactly it was that drew me to him. I wont say it was his style of driving or anything because I was not analyzing F1 professionally. It was just that I liked him- probably for the fact that he was trying to win his first title with Ferrari ever since he joined. I still remember the race- it was the Monaco Grand Prix of the 2000 season. That was when I started watching F1. I don’t exactly recollect the results. But all I remember is that I knew who I was going to be supporting from then on.
And what a journey it has been. I still remember the way Michael broke down into tears at Monza in the 2000 season. I still remember him coming in front of Mika Hakkinen after the second round of pit stops in the final Japanese Grand Prix that season. I still remember him almost driving over the grass when he lost control on his slowing down lap after that win because he had just put his head in his hands and was crying. I still remember the way he overcame an initial fight by Coulthard to take the second Championship in a row. I still remember all those memorable Hakkinen- Schumi fights that took place all the year through. I still remember that Spanish Grand Prix when Hakkinen was leading Schumi by over 50 seconds into the final lap and Schumi having to go a bit slow as his car was not perfect and then next thing I see is Hakkinen’s car just blowing up with less than half a lap to go. And then I still remember the way I celebrated that night- I in fact have a recording of the commentary when the blow up took place. But of course one cant deny Hakkinen making “that” move on Michael at Spa with Ricardo Zonta lurking in front of them both. That was simply put a magnificent race for Mika. I guess Mika will always be remembered for that move on Michael.
And of course I still remembered the day his mother passed away and he didn’t celebrate his race victory. And I still remember the way he stamped his authority over each and every driver on the circuit. All the others were made to look like just pawns on the chess board where he laid down the rules. So there came another title and then another. Some began to question his age and said that he should be retiring. Michael knew better. Instead he fought on the likes of Raikkonen and Montoya. Though initially it promised to be a close contest, in the end Michael just made sure that it was nowhere close to what they must have thought of. In fact I remember distinctly something Kimi said in some interview after the season in which he came second. He said, “Sometimes I think I am going to win all the races!” Now that is something I would like to see!
And so after 5 years of the undisputed reign of the Prancing Horses, I guess it was time the others woke up and did something about the Monopoly. And so came Renault and Mclaren. And Ferrari was left dreaming about what was going to happen. It was the worst season ever for Ferrari since a long time, producing only one win and that too in that Indianapolis Fiasco. But all said and done, it was good to see Alonso come up with some scintillating performances. For that season I have to say he was the deserved Champion.
But come 2006 and things changed big time. Ferrari were back. But it took them some time in catching up with the pace of Renault. And at one point, Schumi was like 25 points behind Alonso. And then something happened that could have been called anything short of a miracle. But no! It was not a miracle. It was a phenomenon called Michael Schumacher!
That drive at San Marino and the subsequent wins took him at sniffing distance to Alonso. And then when he announced his retirement, I was almost on the verge of tears. I just prayed that he would change his decision though deep inside I knew that nothing like that would ever happen. And of course, then eventually he caught up with Alonso and then all of us know what happened in that penultimate Grand Prix. Schumi leading with 15 laps to go and his engine gives way.
That was one of the real heart breaking moments for me in quite some time. I felt more disappointed than what I felt when I had to end my relationship with someone close to me. It was like the end of the road. The end of all hopes. For a few moments it was as if the world came to a stand still. And when I got back to reality I realized that it was indeed over. The last race was just a formality. But what was I to feel? I don’t know what I felt but what I do remember is that I didn’t make any effort to feel at all.
And when I saw that he was going to start from 10th on the grid, I felt really depressed. Ferrari had a great package that day at Interlagos. And when I saw Michael overtake Fischichella for 5th place, my heart leapt only to skip a beat when his tyre got punctured. And he went into the pits and came out at the dead end of the field. And what happened in the next 1 hour or so can only be called as miraculous or in his case, just a Michael Schumacher. He ran through the track like a blazing rocket- a rocket with a purpose. There was no one that could match his place. There he was in 13th place and he was setting fastest laps- lap after lap. Clearly the fastest on the track. And then as people came out of their second pit stop, Michael was already where he was before, and pushing. A few drivers tried to hold him back- Pffft- just a couple of laps at the max. Robert Doornbos will remember doing the most noble thing ever done- letting Michael go through without a damn fight! And then he runs into Barrichello. The BAR Honda team reminds Rubens that he is still “racing Michael”! Like it would make a difference! 2 laps and then Michael was past Rubens. Next stop: Fischichella! He makes his first attempt at overtaking in the first corner but somehow Gincarlo wards it off. And then came the second attempt. And it was then that you could see the disparity in driving between the veteran and any other. Michael simply pushed him hard. And all Gincarlo could do was to brake late- in fact a bit too late. And he had a grassy moment, letting Michael go through. So there it was 4 laps to go and Michael was in 5th place 8 seconds behind Raikkonen, the man replacing him next season at Ferrari. And needless to say Michael was still charging. God help Kimi! I watched as he chipped away the gap into the Finn’s Mclaren and immediately posed a challenge for the 4th place.
Anybody in their right frame of mind would settle for 5th place when you have a Mclaren in front of you and when you have just about 3 mm space to pull off your overtaking. But you see this rule applies only to humans. Not to Michael Schumacher! He simply threw his car into that 3 mm space- sandwiched between the Mclaren and the pit board wall. And he pulls it off! Kimi is left gaping at that piece of magic that was just performed on him by the man he was going to replace next season. And there you had it, simply put, the greatest overtaking move ever seen!
Probably it was the occasion, or probably it was because it was Ferrari vs Mclaren or probably because it was Schumi’s last overtaking move that anyone would ever see. But whatever be the opinion, “THAT move” simply epitomized Michael’s entire career. Fernando rightly said in the press conference that day that winning the championship with Michael competing you is something worthy and that the converse was also true. And he agreed that he had been extremely lucky that he could do it twice. Damn right!
But whatever be the opinions of all the people around the world, it is simply imperative to believe that F1 can never be the same without him. That someone will come first in a race simply because someone has to and that someone will win the world Championship simply because someone has to.
And in all that time, I can atleast be happy that someday I can proudly tell my children and grandchildren that I was there when Michael won his first title with Ferrari and I can proudly say that I was there when Michael pulled off “that move” over Kimi with 4 laps to go in his career.
There never was and will never be anybody like Michael Schumacher.